Sunday, October 10, 2010

TRIP TO XINING

Most of you know that I took a little break from Beijing and flew to Xining for a week. Xining is a Chinese province over by Tibet.
It was a fun trip where we did a ton of stuff and a great break from school. (Yes, I do go to school. I know it doesn't seem like it but I do have class...sometimes.) :)

Day 1
We arrived in Xining City and checked into a western hotel. (This is very important. The major difference between western hotels and other hotels is the bathroom. Those of us who grew up in the west have grown used to our beautiful western toilets. However other people, such as those in China, have not. They use holes in the ground. People in China view these toilets as a more sanitary option. I personally am not in this camp and welcome a western toilet whenever it is present.)
While everyone slept, my friend Shannon and I explored the area in search of snacks and water (to keep altitude sickness at bay). We were slightly freaked out when everyone we passed stared at us. Since we didn't know the area, we were afraid we were perfect pick pocket targets and that was why everyone was looking at us. But we later found out that foreigners don't usually go that far west and we were like the bearded woman, unique and interesting. So that started the tone of the trip, everywhere we went, we were like the circus. 

Day 2- Kumbum (or Ta'er) Monastery
Kumbum Monastery is a Buddhist monastery where we got our second taste of the Buddhist religion.

These are posts that you turn to give blessings. You have to turn it clockwise. If you do it the other way, you are taking the blessing for yourself and that is not what you are supposed to do. This practice isn't only limited to the posts, it is used at meal times too.

I love how my bank follows me everywhere (ATM between the 2 doors on the right)


I couldn't take pictures inside the buildings because pictures aren't allowed. But if you're ever near a monastery, you should go inside. It's a very interesting and complex religion.

So after exploring the monastery, we had lunch with the monks.
 Barley and yak butter pressed together. Actually pretty good
 Bread on top of my rice with raisins. To the side in someone's hand, milk tea (not bad at all) 
Lamb. Sadly, not delicious to me.

The monks were cool. They prepared their native dishes for us and one told us a little about his life. He traveled to the monastery when he was 10 and has been there ever since. He was a little bit of a loner for a while because he didn't understand the language. (I think he spoke Tibetan instead of Mandarine) 
Now, he's grown up and he is a doctor. He is about to start working at the hospital by the monastery. (Yep, a monk and a doctor)

Part 1 of Day 3- Grand Mosque

I really enjoyed visiting the Grand Mosque. We met with some of the elders at the Mosque and they answered any questions we had. Questions such as why don't Muslims eat pork? They said pigs were lazy animals. If they ate pig they might become lazy too. Also, pigs are unclean. 




 Leader that answered our questions
Another leader that let me take a picture of him
 These 2 are pics of the prayer room. Women and non-Muslims aren't allowed in here so I had to stand outside and take pictures


I must apologize, I have to leave this temporally unfinished. Its 2am and I really need to go to bed. (The pics took a while to load)
I'll finish the tale of my week long adventure as soon as I have a chance :)
Take care







No comments:

Post a Comment